Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Stolen Thumb drive part 2

Stolen Pen Drive part 2



I just prayed to god that I should get that pen drive back. I know he listens to everyone but we talk to him only when we are in trouble still he listens to us. May be that is why he is called God. I was very depressed and was thinking how it will be possible for me to compensate that drive. I spoke with Aniket and we together decided that we will pay 2000 bucks and remaining will be bared by the customer. I never did anything in my life that would make me feel ashamed of myself. This time I cursed myself like anything. I thought for a long time and decided that it was my mistake and I should compansate the whole amount not matter how difficult it is going to be for me. I went to college next day with these intentions. I figured out how I can gather 400 bucks.

We had lost all hopes of getting the drive back. The customers were girls and had gone total nuts over that drive. They approached me in my college to get some help about their website. I was not at all interested in that work but I had lost their valuable drive hence I owed a lot to them. I was explaining to them how difficult it is to make a server side script and I saw Aniket in front of me holding the drive in his hand. My mouth was wide open and I was wondering how this man got it back.

Is this the same drive Akshar? he asked me. I swear even if was not the same one I would have told him that it is the one. But this drive looked almost same. When we checked the data we found that it was formatted. I was so happy that I could not express myself I told the girls that I will mail their site at midnight. I was not bothered about them anyway. I started dreaming about what to do with the money I am gonna earn. A treat to my friends was pending for a long time, lets settle it down I said to myself.

The facts got revealed as we came out of the lab and discussed. One of the diplomat friends of Aniket had found one of our own classmate with a Toshiba pen drive the same one. That classmate had joined our batch because of block i.e. he had failed in 6 subjects. So foolish on his part to bring that drive in college and we were so lucky. The diplomat cleverly kept a watch on him while he sent one of his friends to call Aniket. Aniket was very shrewd he went near the culprit took the drive in his hand and said "nice drive man. even I had one but I lost it." That fellow got scared like anything. He was speechless for a moment. Aniket was surrounded by two of his diplomat friends who had butts larger than that nuts head so he couldn't do anything about it. "Let me keep it with me for verification. Why dont you produce the receipt of purchase and take it back from me. I guess you have the receipt, isn't it?" Aniket carefully mounted the words. "Yeah... ," He realized that he was making a mistake by committing to show the receipt which would mean that drive will remain with Aniket till then. Aniket did not wait for his reply any more he ran to me confirmed that the drive was ours and handed them over to the girls.

That is why I call Aniket my friend. That is why I was paying him 50% of my earning. That's called risk management. I was learning the trends of management. :) I wished that the story will get over that too with a happy ending. But the next day the culprit arrived with a reciept that looked fake from the quality of the paper. Besides it showed the worth of the drive as 1599/- which was a bad joke. Aniket this time took him outside the lab kept one hand on his shoulder. I remained out of the whole matter after all I had hired Aniket to handle these kind of situations why do I fall into all this I told myself. Perhaps I was quite sure that my intervention would spoil the whole scene. Aniket told him that the owner of the lost pen drive was a girl and her father was a well known lawyer of the city. (I could make out from the tone of his sentence that he lied, I confirmed it later). Aniket also explained him how worse things can get if he messed up with the drive and also convinced him that even police could interfere in the whole matter. Aniket did not wait for his response. He dialed her fathers number ( the actual number was a fake one I gussed.) The plan worked just fine. The culprit wiping out sweat from his head said "Yeah? Then may be the drive belongs to the girl. and escaped..." Aniket had convinced him so well that a normal fellow would have given away the drive even if it was his own.

Some people are just not as smart as me. they steal the drive but they dont resist the tempatation of bringing it to the college. Then they easily give it into the hands of the person whom it belongs. The height is they belive that a lawyer will waste his time on something worth just 4000 and the police will believe the story. Though I have the smartness I lack the most basic thing that is the "courage to steal it in the first place". God knows what to give whom and what not to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home